Gaining fame and fortune is a dream that many people share around the world. Traditionally, becoming famous meant that you had to be in the public eye and recognized by the mainstream media. However, with the creation of the internet, it’s now possible that you can become famous online. If you can discover your niche and expand your reach, you can achieve your goals of becoming famous on the internet.
1Determine what you’re good at and what you like doing. There are a variety of different ways to become famous on the internet. Some popular ways are streaming gameplay online or making unique content in the form of videos or writing. Other famous internet stars are popular on social media. Think of things that you like doing and create a strategy based on your skills. 
- If you can’t think of anything that you’re good at, then think of something that interests you and that you’d like to learn more about.
- If you know a lot of different makeup techniques, you can create video content showing others how to apply makeup.
- If you are excellent at games then you can stream or create videos on YouTube to gain a fanbase.
- If you already spend a lot of time on social media, you should consider actively growing your social media followers to become famous.
- If you think you have an interesting life you can create vlogs that people can follow.
- If you have an immense knowledge in a specific topic you can start a blog or create videos online to educate other people.
2Watch people that you’re a fan of. Another way to get inspired is by emulating someone that you look up to. If you don’t follow any internet celebrities, start searching for them online to get a better idea of what you need to do to become famous. Look on websites like Twitch.tv, YouTube, and online blogs to find celebrities. If you are already a fan of an internet celebrity and you watch their content regularly, it’s likely you have a decent knowledge about what they do.
- Popular internet personalities include PewDiePie, The Jester, Nash Grier, Joy Cho, and Grace Helbig.
3Do your research on the community you want to get into. Communities are made up of a variety of people who share the same interests and often share ideas and thoughts to one another. Some people in the community make online content and become famous off that content. Doing research on other content creators or famous people will give you an understanding of the competition as well as the potential fanbase that you’ll have. Also, within communities are sub-communities or niche communities that concentrate on more concentrated subject matter. Search for other content creator’s social media profiles or any video or written content that they create.
- Places where you can find online communities include the Playstation Community, Being Girl, Figment, Harley Owners Group, and Lugnet.
- Some popular gaming communities include the DOTA 2 community, the CSGO community, the League of Legends community, the FIFA community, and the Fighting Game community.
- Some of the most successful people to come out of the gaming community include Park ‘Lyn’ Joon, Henrik ‘AdmiralBulldog’ Ahnberg, Jonathan ‘Loda’ Berg, Johnathan ‘Fatal1ty’ Wendell.
- Some of the most notable YouTubers include PewDiePie, Smosh, the Fine Brothers, and Lindsey Stirling.
- You can also get information on the community by visiting the community’s subreddit on Reddit.com.
- If the content you plan on pursuing already has a lot of up-and-coming content producers or established stars, you may want to choose something else unless you bring something exciting and unique.
4Narrow down your choices and choose something to pursue. Now that you’ve done your research, you can narrow down all your choices. Think of your goals and decide if they are realistic. Write down all of the things that you’d consider doing and weigh the positives and the negatives. Once you’ve narrowed it down, choose something to pursue and start creating a strategy.
- Estimate the probability of success within the community by evaluating your competition, the overall viewer base, and the popularity of your content platform.
Managing Your Online Presence
1Stay consistent across all platforms. Try to get the same username across your social media platforms so that people don’t get confused. Use your logo or profile picture and make them the same to create brand recognition for yourself. You also need to stay consistent on what you say and the type of person you are. If you say something but do the opposite, regularly break your word, or act hypocritical, the internet may turn on you and fans may leave you.
- If you have a logo or profile picture that you use regularly, make sure that the brand is represented across the different social media platforms.
- Think of your brand like a company. If a company has different logos and store layouts, it may become confusing to consumers. The same can be said about your fans.
- Regardless if you are angry, mean, happy, or silly, fans will be confused if your personality changes overnight or you do things that don’t seem consistent.
2Register on at least two social media platforms. Choose two social media platforms that you can update regularly. This will give your fans access to you even when you aren’t creating new content. When trying to decide on which platforms to create, consider the age of your target audience as well as what platforms they are most likely to use. Cross promote on your different platforms and always give people an easy way to follow you somewhere else.
- If you are trying to appeal to a younger audience, platforms like Twitter and Instagram are the best.
- If you are trying to appeal to an older audience, platforms like Facebook, Pinterest, and LinkedIn are ideal.
3Create a personal website or blog. Having a website will allow people to search you and find the different social media platforms your on as well as get direct access to your content. A website will also give promoters and advertisers an easy way to contact you. Lastly, a personal blog can also serve as another revenue stream if you decide to advertise or use affiliate links or promotions that lead to purchases for different product manufacturers.
- Make sure to create a responsive website that works on phones and different browsers.
- If you specialize in video, you can create vlogs instead of writing in a blog.
- Popular blog and website creation sites include WordPress.org, WordPress.com, Squarespace, and Wix.
- WordPress.org requires more technical knowledge to set up and shouldn’t be undertaken by someone with no knowledge of programming languages like PHP and CSS.
4Use hashtags and memes. Hashtags and memes are both ways that you can reach a larger audience and create new fans. Find hashtags that apply to what you’re doing and use them creatively in posts to find fans that share the same interests. Encourage followers or fans to follow a specific hashtag and grow your follower base through social media. Jump on popular memes and share funny content that you find online. Engage with the online community that follows you.